While moving is often a stressful experience, it doesn’t have to be. Taking steps to stay as organized as possible can make the shift from one home to another a cakewalk. Organizing before your move can help in the moving and unpacking process. You’ll be able to easily find what you are looking for and can quickly get your life started in your new home.
Better Organization Means a Smoother Move
A professional mover like Moving Companies Buffalo can help you in the moving process. However, the process can be quickly moved along by doing your homework ahead of time and having everything ready to go. Here are some tips to help you get organized so your move is an enjoyable one.
- Start the moving process early to give yourself the needed time to be organized.
- Make a plan on when to pack each room, what to pack first, when to move, etc.
- Set packing goals and stick to them (i.e. have pictures off the wall by Friday)
- Take pictures of each room so you know where things go when you unpack.
- Start with the small, decorative stuff that you can live without for some time
- Get rid of what you don’t use or need
- Donate gently used things
- Sell your clothing, electronics, and furniture
- Don’t be afraid to throw things out
- Pack room-by-room to avoid overwhelm
- Sort your items by category in each room
- Label every box on the top and the bottom
- Label boxes by room and category
- Use color coding for each room to easily identify boxes
- Use a numbering system (with a list) to find your stuff in your new home
- Be smart about how you pack, don’t just throw everything in a box and go
- Pack what you need immediately in clear boxes so you can easily identify them
- Keep your small boxes for your heavy items to keep their weight manageable
- Use your large boxes for light items like pillows, blankets, stuffed animals, etc.
- Folding the flaps of your boxes is not secure. Use clear packing tape.
- Protect your fragile items in the move with bubble wrap, packing paper, or blankets.
- Your dishes are safer if packed vertically rather than stacked on top of each other.
- Take pictures of all of your electronics so you know where each wire goes.
- Label wires if you have numerous electronics being packed together.
- Make photocopies of all of your important documents so you have access to them, especially if anything should get lost during the move.
- Before you pack everything away, make an overnight bag with everything you’ll need the first few days in your new home.
- Move your heavy furniture and boxes first on moving day, then the lighter things.
- Try to load boxes from each room together to make the unloading and unpacking process easier.
- Enlist help early on. Give everyone who offered to help as much notice as possible about your move–friends, family, movers, etc.
- Make a plan for the actual moving day to keep things running smoothly.
Get Help Packing
If the thought of packing everything up is simply too much, Moving Companies Buffalo NY can help you out. In addition to moving you on the actual day, we also offer services to help you pack up all your stuff and get you on your way. Simply give us a call today at 716-219-0021 to see how we can help you with your move.